International Wood-Fire Ceramic Symposium Watermill Wittgendorf Upper Lusatia12th Watermill Symposium 2021 -- In honor of Masakazu Kusakabe on the occasion of his 75th birthday
12th Watermill Symposium – 2021
The 12th Watermill Symposium is taking place from 4 – 31 October 2021.
the morning’s bright glow:
the loveliness of beauty
just a fleeting dream
~ Natsume Soseki
Focus of this symposium:
— “Chadõ – the Japanese Way of Tea”
— “My path to tea – What does drinking tea mean to me?”
○ The symposium is taking place in the Wittgendorf Watermill.
○ We will be firing the large Sasukenei Smokeless Kiln.
○ We will be working together in Hendrik Schöne’s studio from October 4-31, 2021, creating new work centered on the symposium focus.
○ For anyone wanting or able to participate only in the firing, bringing pieces you have made connected with the above topics, the symposium begins on October 15.
○ New development! Every participant agrees and commits to make a selection of his/her pieces available, after the symposium, for a travelling exhibition. The exhibition will be shown in Dresden, in Höhr-Grenzhausen and in two other locations in Germany.
○ See “to apply” for additional details, or contact us with any questions.
My choice, my way …
Special Focus for the 2021 Watermill Symposium
1st topic: “Chadõ – the Japanese Way of Tea”
Participants show, through their work, what they associate with
the „way of tea.“
2nd topic: “My path to tea – What does drinking tea mean to me?”
Participants show, through their work, what they personally associate with the topic of tea and how they drink tea.
– Each symposium participant may choose to focus on either
one or both of these topics. –